So....You wanna be a comic book nerd?
So, you want to be a comic book nerd?
Ever since comic movies like The Avengers and The Dark Knight became super popular, everyone wants to call themselves comic book nerds. But I feel like we need to clarify something.
Watching all three Spiderman films does not make you a comic book nerd.
Whenever I tell someone that I’m into comic books, there are many occasions where someone says “Me too!” and then go on to make it very clear they’ve never read an entire comic book in their lives. And that’s fine. I know a lot of people who enjoy movies like The Avengers and The Dark Knight, but have never read a comic book before. But if you want to be a comic book nerd, there’s a lot more to it than just seeing the movies.
Here are a few basic pieces of knowledge to help you on your road to nerd-vana:
- The two major comic book companies are Marvel and DC.
- Marvel is owned by Disney, DC is owned by Warner Brothers
- Marvel is the company where you’ll find characters such as Spiderman, The Fantastic 4, Thor, Captain America and Iron Man
- DC is home to Batman, Superman, The Green Lantern, The Flash and Wonder Woman
- Many comic books have “Story Arcs” which are collected and released as “Graphic Novels” or “Trade Paperbacks” these are usually readily available at most comic book stores and are a good way to get caught up with a certain character.
Other common misconceptions that should be cleared up:
- Batman doesn’t have any powers. He’s just a rich guy with a knack for detective work.
- Ditto for the Green Lantern. His powers come from a ring, which uses his Willpower.
- Spiderman can’t fly.
- Superman’s home planet is called Krypton, not Kryptonite. That’s the element that villains use against Superman.
If you’re looking to do some extra reading, I’d recommend any of the following books:
- Batman: Year One – This one is pretty self explanatory. It follows Batman in his first year under the cowl as he learns the best ways to go about becoming The Dark Knight
- Batman: The Man Who Laughs – I am a HUGE fan of the Joker and this is probably my favourite book of all time. If you enjoyed The Dark Knight, you’ll enjoy this book.
- Blackest Night: This is a Green Lantern book which also incorporates the entire DC universe. A very cool read.
- Watchmen: Probably one of the most iconic graphic novels of all time. I’ve read it at least 20 times, and I find something new I love about it every time.
- Civil War: If you’re more of a Marvel fan, this is definitely worth a look. I don’t want to give anything away, but you’ll have to choose a side.
- The Walking Dead: For more mature readers who are fans of the TV show, this is worth a look. They have 16 volumes out now and the story continues. The books are a LOT different from the show, and they’re addictive.
So there you have it, some new info and some suggestions about how to expand your comic book horizons. There are lots of independent comic companies out there that put out some awesome material. It’s really about finding what suits you. Happy reading!